Thursday, August 31, 2017

Craving Experience

Ever since I can remember, experiencing everything (or at least as much as I can) has been my life goal. I want to know what everything is and how everyone feels everything, and I hate missing out. 

I try to do everything I can. I do three sports (swimming, basketball, and soccer). This semester I'm taking 2 U of I classes (I wanted to take more but after some explaining from my parents that I would not survive, I settled for 2) and I only have one true free period, because I can't bring myself to sacrifice any interesting uni classes. Next semester, I have the same plan, take all the uni classes that I've always wanted, but also take all the U of I classes I can pile on.

I pile a lot onto my schedule, but if I were to have more free time, I would not make any productive use of it. I would either spend time procrastinating on all responsibilities or spend more time binge watching tv-shows.

The latter, is how I spend probably 70-90% of my current free time. While it is possible that I'm just a TV addict, I think that watching tv shows with varying subjects can really teach me about different people and their psychologies. 
I can get a feel for how each of the characters is going to react and the more I understand the characters, the faster I can try to figure out the psychologies of real people. I also treat TV shows as a fast way to gather mass information about a subject (i.e. I can now identify if a skeleton is male or female at a glance, thanks to Bones).  

Ultimately, I know that I can't experience everything, or even come close to be honest (http://matt.might.net/articles/phd-school-in-pictures/), but I'm always gonna fill my life with all the experiences I can; and but I've often said that if, by some chance of fate, I end up being immortal, I'm gonna spend a lifetime in each society in the world, so I can learn and study everything there is.

6 comments:

  1. I love your attitude about life Sarah I feel like often people close themselves off early in their lives and say "I'm only good at this and not that." That attitude really prevents exploring new things and expanding one's horizons. I think one lesson I can take away from your blog is that people should take life less seriously and just try and enjoy it while we're here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I sometimes feel the same urge to want everything and I have a hard time making decisions because I didn't want to give up anything. I've come to see that desire as a bad habit, but your outlook on it is just the opposite: it's not bad to want to experience all that life has to give. It got me thinking about myself in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AW SARAH (im not even in ur class lol) but this is so you lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic curiosity and desire for life! I thought your last statement of how you would so admirably spend your immortality pretty powerful. It also made me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you describe your lust for life, Sarah. Good luck experiencing as much as you possibly can! But don't forget to relax, too :)

    This post is really engaging. Your voice comes through clearly and with an energy that's infectious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post Sarah! This sounds exactly like you. When I read it, I could almost hear your voice coming through.

    ReplyDelete