Thursday, November 30, 2017

Dani 2.0

A friend once asked me how I had managed to clone myself, after spending an hour hanging out with me an my brother. To tell the truth, I don't know how I managed to make my brother so much like myself. The most likely culprits are social media and my family's interesting property of idolizing older siblings.

That last part probably made me sound like a complete narcissist, but it is a real pattern that has emerged. At age six, I denounced the color pink and decided that my favorite color was black, because Israel was hit with the grunge movement in 2005, and my sister became an emo tomboy. She herself only became emo because our older cousins were in high school and they found it cool. So just like I idolized my sister, and I probably still do, my brother ended up idolizing me for the greater part of his life (which is probably how he let me get away with all the torture I put him through).

But all in all, having a brother so much like me makes him a great best friend. As I've said before, anytime I feel like randomly going on an adventure (usually the grocery store) he is always up for it and we have a blast discussing current events in memes and talking about different things that are happening in our lives.

When he came to Uni, our relationship really accelerated, because suddenly I was always driving him everywhere and we spent more time with each other than we were even at home. During car rides we have nothing to do but talk, so we often know everything that goes on in each other's lives. I also have a class with my brother, Latin. People always ask if it's weird to have a class with him but I really like it. Sharing homework and notes brings a whole new level to our sibling relationship that I usually only have with friends.

It is really interesting how much our relationship has changed just because we are in the same school. My brother has never had a teacher that has had me, so he has never been "sarah's brother" before. Now, he is commonly known as Dani, even though he kinda hates how Americans pronounce it, because I call him that and anyone who knows me automatically calls him that.

It's gonna be interesting to see how next year affects our relationship. Thus far, the most time we have been apart is one month and even that felt like forever. Maybe we'll start a snapchat streak so we can still talk everyday, that would be interesting cause he usually only snapchats me fry recipes from tastemade.

5 comments:

  1. Dani's height and the way you interact with him makes me sometimes forget he is in fact four years younger than you. I love the relationship you guys have and I hope it will continue that way next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty similar to the relationship my older sister, Iulianna, and I had. We talked at home and everything but once we were both at Uni we began to communicate a lot more because we had so many more things in common (sadly we never took the same class together though). Once she went to college we stopped talking as much, which is pretty sad, and whenever we talk she never has much time, or is stressed about an upcoming test. I can't wait for winter break when we can actually relax and get some wholesome time in together. We also have a streak, so who knows, maybe our relationship is a sign of what's to come for you and Dani. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend sounds pretty cool. It's nice that you and your brother have such a good and unique relationship. You articulate well the things you like about it and I can really hear your voice in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This describes Neil and I to a level that is almost creepy. Him driving me everywhere totally brought us closer, and although the only two years we weren't at the same school were his first two at Uni, those two years were weird for me. Also, I have been considered to be a miniature Neil before because my goal has always been to be as conscientious, responsible, and caring as he is. Additionally, we had a Snapchat streak for the first few months he was in college, but it died when he came home for thanksgiving last year and has never fully come back. However, don't lose hope in your relationship with your brother. When Neil and I do get to spend time with each other (a few weeks a year), we are as close as we ever were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know you had a sister! Anyway this post is really nice and wholesome. Your relationship with your brother is so nice. I have a 6 year age gap with my sister so I never really got to experience all the things that you were able to with your brother, but i'd say our relationship is nice in a different way.

    ReplyDelete